[squid-users] Trouble with High Memory Addressing & PME

From: Marinelli Alessio <a.marinelli@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 17:08:44 +0100

Hi there..

I'm having a problem running Squid/2.4.STABLE4 on some Compaq DL580 with 2.3
GB of RAM, with RedHat 7.2 using a 2.4.18 kernel with High Mem support (4GB)
enabled in kernel. (note: i manually compiled even the kernel and the squid
from the .tgz configuring squid with diskd and 20 aio-threads

Cache dirs are hosted on 4 x 36Gb, SCSI3 disks, formatted with ReiserFS, and
just 25Gb allocated on each. In the 'squid.conf' i used to balance it the
'least-load'. I also have allocated 20MB of ram for 'cache_mem'.

Now sometimes when all is running, i got a 'kernel panic' message and the
machine hang. I tryed to recompile the kernel without the High Memory
support, and the system seems to be OK. Now, since i have to serve about
5000 req/min i would like to use all my memory, not just 960mb...

Does anyone experienced something similar and have a suggestion about this?

Thanks a lot...

-
Alessio Marinelli