[squid-users] squid / swap usage.

From: orko <dean@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:15:45 +1100

Hey

I just have a query regarding squid's swap usage. We're running squid in
a fairly high load environment, and we're finding that we can't let
squid to utilise more than 20% of the available disk without it going
/really/ heavily into swap and killing the performance.

one box (for example) is an ultra 250 with an A1000 disk array (6 x
~36gb), 2gb memory running solaris 8. When squid initially starts, the
the responses times sky rocket and squid by then is consuming >1gb of
the box's swap. Is the answer simply that squid doesn't like disks that
large?

gory details: squid 2.4 stable 4.
configure opts: --enable-async-io, --enable-snmp, --enable-dlmalloc,
- --enable-poll, --enable-removal-policies="heap lru"
cache_mem 80
cache_dir aufs /cache/00 10000 16 256
cache_dir aufs /cache/01 10000 16 256
..etc
[priority_paging enabled, with 32768 FD's]

let me know if you need more info.
any advice is muchly appreciated.