Re: [squid-users] squid / swap usage.

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:06:19 -0600

Just an estimation that has been around on the list for years. It has
proven to be a quite good way to estimate what Squid memory usage will
be, so I stick to it religiously. BTW, a formula for estimating Squid
memory usage would be:

10MB per GB of cache_dir + cache_mem + normal Squid process size

The normal Squid process size is variable dependent on whether aufs is
in use (bigger), it is a performance optimized build (bigger), and the
size of several other configurable options in Squid (ip and fqdn caches,
etc).

There is no official ruling on how much memory Squid should use--because
there is no way to say for sure...But the in-core index is a given for
any running Squid, no matter what other options are configured, or what
kind of disk layer is in use (ReiserRAW excluded, but it is no longer
developed, so doesn't count).

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com