[squid-users] Affects of compiler optimizations on Squid performance?

From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 09:39:16 -0500

Every once in a while I re-examine the way I'm configuring and building
Squid, including the compiler optimizations used to build the code.

I understand that I/O will always be the bottleneck in Squid performance,
but surely improving in-memory object searches merits at least looking at
CPU optimizations. On my Pentium3 box (RedHat v7.2, Linux kernel
v2.4.18) I've been building with GCC compiler switches "-march=i686 -O3
-fomit-frame-pointers". I'm wondering if Squid would benefit from more
esoteric optimizations, like more stringent variable alignment or less
stringent examination of floating-point values.

Curious as to how the professionals are doing it, I examined the latest
Squid SRPM package (squid-2.4.STABLE4-2.src.rpm) on Swell Technology's
Web site. I was suprised to see no compiler optimization flags at all in
the build (at least not in the squid.spec file). Are the benefits of CPU
optimization in Squid really so trivial that they don't bear examination?

Anyway, is there any consensus on how best to compile Squid on a Linux
i686 system?

Thanks.