RE: [squid-users] why is the UDP port for DNS queries kept "open"?

From: Steve Bremer <steveb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 13:33:12 -0600

Hi,

> Are your NICs PCI-based? If so, I believe they all behave as a single unit
> (ie. any card can answer to any address defined in ifconfig), so attempting
> to block by interface doesn't have any effect. I've had the same trouble
> with ipchains/iptables.

This isn't true under Linux, but I don't know about other *nixes. I
believe there is an sysctl option to enable this functionality, but I
can't recall what it is right now. It's not enabled by default, at least
not on the distros I've tried.

> If you are really worried about the security of having port 53 open, I
> suggest you move your DNS onto a dedicated server in your DMZ (ie. on your

I think there is a little confusion here. The port being bound to is a
high numbered port above 1023. As I understand it, this is done by
the internal dns resolver in Squid. I run dnscache on the Squid box
itself, so it doesn't have to contact an external dns server.
Dnscache is bound to an interface that is not exposed to a hostile
environment. I would like Squid's internal DNS resolver to do the
same if possible.

Thanks,
Steve