Re: [squid-users] Number of clients accessing cache: 9772

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 02:59:44 -0600

This was just discussed here not more than 6 hours ago, if not in those
precise terms.

HTTP is a stateless protocol. At any given instant, your cache may have
some number of active connections...however, that will look like a very
small percentage of what you and I would consider "browsing the web
right now". The best you can do is see "who has been browsing the web
in the past ten minutes" or something similar. Using tail and
calamaris, as I suggested in that previous thread a few hours ago, is a
good way to do that.

It is an imaginary concept to think in terms of "is this user browsing
the web right now", as far as Squid (or any HTTP client/server/proxy) is
concerned. If they are getting an object /right now/, they are
browsing, if they are sitting and reading the page or staring at dirty
pictures the proxy/server/client doesn't really know that or care.

active_requests in the cachemgr will give you the proxies view of who is
connected to the cache /right now/ and the objects they are retrieving,
and that is all it can give you unless it imagines something for you (I
don't think anyone really wants to receive imaginary values from their
Squid). ;-)