Re: [squid-users] number of squid daemons

From: Alberto Brealey G. <beto@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 04:00:11 -0600

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 05:01:21PM +0800, Jose Nathaniel G. Nengasca wrote:
> I just recently run ps -aux | grep squid, the result is I have 10 squid
> -D process running, then I have edited my squid.conf (since I have the
> old config file from the past version) to reflect the changes on the new
> version. After that I run again ps but this time it has only 2 squid -D
> processes... so which option did make decrease the number of squid -D
> processes ran?

this is discussed in the list every once in a while. the number of squid
'proccesses' is really the number of threads. when running in async-io mode,
squid spaws a number of 'children' (defined at compile time IIRC) to handle
the io operations. when running in 'sync-io' (is there a name for this?),
squid does not spawn children (you actually see two because squid forks at
least once, the first instance only monitoring the others so it can respawn
them in case they die).

so i guess you went from 'aufs' to 'ufs' in your cache_dir configuration
option.

i hope this mess answered your question.

--
Alberto Brealey
beto@inalambrica.net