[squid-users] Tr : Re: Loadbalancing multiple SQUID parents using a parent persistence selection per client connection

From: Alexandre CASSEN <alexandre.cassen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:44:11 +0100

Hi Joe,

>Is there a reason you can't simply tie each Squid to one parent? i.e. to
>redraw your diagram, something like this:

Yes because how SQUID-PROXY-i handle PROXY-PARENT-j failover if they do not
know the whole parent topology ? (my parents doesn t support ICP)

if SP-1 directly linked to PP-1 => if PP-1 fails all clients directed on
SP-1 will be stalled because SP-1 will not be removed from LVS ipvs table
since all looks great on SP-1.

> > +----------------------------+
> > | Internet |
> > +----------------------------+
> > | | |
> > +----------------+ | +-----------+
> > | | |
> > +----------------+ +----------------+ +----------------+
> > | PROXY-PARENT-1 | | PROXY-PARENT-2 | | PROXY-PARENT-3 |
> > +----------------+ +----------------+ +----------------+
> > | | |
> > +---------------+ +---------------+ +---------------+
> > | SQUID-PROXY-1 | | SQUID-PROXY-2 | | SQUID-PROXY-3 |
> > +---------------+ +---------------+ +---------------+
> > | | |
> > +--------------+ | +---------+
> > | | |
> > +----------------------------+
> > | LoadBalancer |
> > +----------[ VIP ]-----------+
>
>If you're using a cache scheduler (one that guarantees client persistence
>for any given destination IP) this should lead to a constant
>client->proxy->parent->server persistence. This is probably what you
>really want, isn't it?

Yes exactly my needs : I want to preserve the client->proxy->parent->server
path. What do you mean with cache scheduler please ?

>This will lead to occasional 'hot spots' on one cache and proxy or another
>(this is kind of unavoidable with a destination hash based scheduler), but
>should generally lead to a pretty good balance most of the time.

=> yes yes :) this is my needs :)

if you have some kind of sample squid conf part on this I will be very
interrested

Best regards,
Alexandre