Re: [squid-users] Re: regarding squid 2..4 stable 4. ( is it http 1.0 or 1.1 complaint ) ?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 16:44:10 -0600

Jigar Rasalawala wrote:
> 20th march, 2002
>
> Hi, henrik
>
> Thanks a lot for prompt reply. i really appriciate that.
> Squid 2.4 is http 1.0 proxy and it implemets most of http/1.1 like
> cache-control , persistent connection etc.
> I have couple of Qs.
>

> 1. what about "Transfer-Encoding: chunked" tag.
>
> I visited www.cnn.com with and without squid. I checked responses at
> both the time. I found squid is
> removing "Transfer-Encoding" from response header. so does not it support
> ?

Good guess. Squid doesn't support transfer-encoding: chunked (though
the te branch has some unfinished basic te support). Robert (being the
hero that he is) started working on it some time ago. Some day it will
happen--but there are some architectural issues within Squid that makes
chunking difficult. I'll leave it to Robert to describe what those are,
if he is so inclined.

> 2. If squid implementes almost all the functionality, so i change 1 line
> "HTTP/1.0" to HTTP/1.1" in http response,
> will make squid HTTP 1.1 compliant proxy ?

Heheheh... Wishful thinking is fun, isn't it? ;-)

No, of course not. 'Most' is not the same as 'all', and in order to
call something compliant to a standard it must implement all of the
"MUST" items for that protocol. Squid does not implement all of the
MUST items for RFC 2616. You'd likely break things quite badly if you
simply modified the HTTP version header. Now if you want to dig in and
actually finish up 1.1 support, Robert compiled a 1.1 compliance
checklist a few months ago. It's on the devel.squid-cache.org site.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com