[squid-users] No Transparent Proxy

From: favian ee <eefavian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 01:43:06 +0000 (GMT)

Hi. I've been trying to configure transparent proxying on my Squid but without success. What I want to do is force all my clients to be redirected to a login web page on my Apache server before they can surf anywhere else. For this I used Linux ipchains, Squid, and Squirm redirector. The problem is I cannot seem to do this transparently with the http accelerator turned on. It works fine if I switch off the accelerator and configure the proxy settings on my browser.

My Apache, Squid and Squirm sit on the same Linux box (kernel 2.2). The settings are as follows:

In Squid:
http_port 3128
http_access allow all
http_accel_host virtual
httpd_accel_port 80
httpd_accel_with_proxy on
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on
cache_effective_user squid
cache_effective_group squid
redirect_program /usr/local/squirm/bin/squirm
redirect_children 5

In Squirm:
in squirm.patterns: regex ^http://.*$ http://x.x.x.x
in squirm.local:
127.0.0.0
x.x.x #subnet 1 address range
y.y.y #subnet 2 address range

in Linux, my ipchains are:
ipchains -A input -j REDIRECT 3128 -p tcp -s 0.0.0.0/0 -d 0.0.0.0/0 80

My Apache server is configured to listen to port 80.

I run Squid with the following command: #squid -N -d 1 -D

When I request for a URL in my remote client browser I get the following message:

ERROR

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://172.16.10.10

The following error was encountered:

- Access Denied

Access control configuration prevents your request from being allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel that this is incorrect
Generated [date, time] by localhost(Squid/2.2STABLE4)

My cache.log shows that there is a forwarding loop error.

Can anyone tell me how if there's anything wrong with my configuration that is preventing me from using the proxy transparently?

Thanks,
Favian