Re: [squid-users] changing file locations on compilation

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 14:24:00 +0100

"Clemson, Chris" wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I have been using squid for quite a while now, and I am trying to compile
> squid-2.4.STABLE4 on SuSE Linux.
> At the moment we have Squid 2.3 running, which came as part of the
> distribution cds.
> SuSE seem to have their squid files spread out all over the place:
>
> squid.conf is in /etc (which is good, IMO),
> the squid executable is in /usr/sbin

 A quite interesting observation,which I simply don't agree
 or agree (?) with :

 Many UNIX app. tools think, sometimes, it is best, to follow
 the traditional UNIX system dir. structure to get themselves installed
 and configured.
 This is mostly an historical issue.

 The problem , is, that that these days some of these programs,such
 as SQUID, or Apache , for instance, are becoming so complex that it can
 be a bad idea, to comply with a dir stucture which is not that a big
deal
 for the application on the first place.

 What we at IMEC try to do, when we install sw. package analogue to
SQUID or
 whatever is to separate them from the "os context" in which they are
being
 installed.

 This has many benefits, no alone the fact, that if your system disk
 crashes, you don't need to reinstall all of your applications.

 So, basically, I advise to give squid it's own 'prefix' = account ?
 So that you have more flexibility of using the application, in whatever
 os you are using it.

 M.E.