Re: [squid-users] slow parent of a parent

From: Michael Smirnov <smbsmb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 19:18:54 +0300

> I use squid-2.5.PRE4 on FreeBSD 4.2-Release.
> My parent cache_peer (a satellite ISP),
> uses 2 parents in round-robin style, one of which is very (~20 times)
slow,
> another parent is fast.
>
> As far I know, my Squid cannot "tell" to parent to use only specified
> parent.
>
> So, maybe my Squid can cancel a connection and reconnect to parent again,
> if it sees "X-Cache: ... from veryslow.parent.net" ?

I think, I need a very small patch for squid ( modifying the URL
when X-Cache is "veryslow.parent.net")
and use a simple redirector(changing the URL back and returning "redirect"
to the original URL).
Maybe, the next time the request will be round-robin'ed to the fast parent.
:-))))

For example:
http://www.host.com/path?params ->http://www.host.com.veryslow/path?params
 -> http://www.host.com/path?params

Please help me to ensure, if it is a completable idea?
What will happen with "cookies" etc?