[squid-users] Squid 2.5, NTLM authentication and Windows 9x

From: Christopher Hill <chris@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 16:57:27 -0000

Hi there!

I am setting up Squid 2.5 on a school network, using the NTLM authentication
to log user's names and prevent certain users from accessing certain sites.

I have the authentication working fine on Windows 2000 clients with IE 6
installed. All websites can be accessed and the logs contain domain\username
entries.

However, I'm trying to get Windows 95 clients with IE 5.5 SP2 working. It
just keeps saying 'The page could not be displayed'. I've done a packet dump
and it seems that at the point where according to the following page it is
vital that the connection stays open (after step 5 at
http://devel.squid-cache.org/ntlm/client_proxy_protocol.html), the client
closes the connection and gives up.

Any idea why this should happen? I read somewhere that when you use 95
clients with Integrated Windows Authentication in IE they authenticate with
LM instead of NTLM. Is this the case? Does Squid support LM authentication?

The 95 clients authenticate fine to an IIS server set up to use Integrated
Windows Authentication. The clients have every hotfix that I can find
installed, along with the DS client supplied with Windows 2000 Server to let
them authenticate with NTLM2 for network logon.

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,
Chris

--
' Ore stabit fortis a fine placet ore stat '
- found on a park bench