Re: [squid-users] Squid behind a novel proxy

From: <philip.wolfe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:38:39 +1100

I was under the impression Squid could replace Novell's authentication to
an NDS tree. Is this not true?

Jon Ottar Runde <jorunde@broadpark.no>
25/03/2002 06:21

        To: squid-users@squid-cache.org
        cc:
        Subject: Re: [squid-users] Squid behind a novel proxy

On su , 2002-03-24 at 13:27, Tigrooo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I actually have a proxy under novell and each windows client can go to
internet with their novell authentication.

> I want to install a squid proxy but I'll have to go through the existant
novell proxy :( and I don't know how to declare squid to authenticate on
the novell proxy.

> Could you help me or give me a link to find info.
>
> --
> Richard

Hi, -we just did this (as in _removed_ the bordermanager, and replaced
it with a squid-box.).
I'm not quite sure what you mean here.
If you want to use novell bm, to authenticate, and then let the bm go
through a squid to the internet, you just set up the linux-boks as a
parent proxy to it.
If you don't want to use bm at all (like me :-) -you must replace the
automatic authenticating with manual authentication. We use LDAP to do
this, and had to rewrite the squid_ldap_auth a little to support our
needs. Now it supports the use of Novells sdk for linux (for
ssl-queries), and also has some spesific stuff we needed. But it should
be possible to use ldap without that (just allow cleartext password on
the novell-side)
The downside is that the users needs to enter the username/password
manually. (This was acceptable to us...)

Jon O