Re: [squid-users] changing file locations on compilation

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 03:30:07 -0600

Clemson, Chris wrote:
>>>squid.conf is in /etc (which is good, IMO),
>>>the squid executable is in /usr/sbin

>> A quite interesting observation,which I simply don't agree
>> or agree (?) with :
>>
>> Many UNIX app. tools think, sometimes, it is best, to follow
>> the traditional UNIX system dir. structure to get themselves
>>installed
>> and configured.
>> This is mostly an historical issue.
>>

> hmm, but if all the configs are in the same place, you don't need to keep
> changing directories when reconfiguring stuff.
>
> but anyway, I don't want to start a holy war this early in joining a list :)
>
> thanks for your comments!

Good idea, Chris (i.e. not to start a holy war). It isn't merely folks
who've just joined a list who shouldn't start holy wars about ancient
history. The Unix Way was decided long ago...before my time certainly,
and probably before most folks here. We're all just lucky enough to get
to live in it. ;-)

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com