Re: [squid-users] Load

From: Simon White <simon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:41:47 +0000

25-Mar-02 at 15:21, General Manager - Keyworld Ltd (mailing@keyworld.net) wrote :
> It is a P3 1 Ghz with 512 Mb RAM and a single 40Mb 5400 rpm IDE Hard drive.
>
> Over the past three days, the box died twice without any apparent reason
> being recorded on the logs. It stopped responding to a ping and obviously
> browsing was down for all the network. Then the service came back up of its
> own accord and the machine starting answering pings once more.

Well, if it is not responding to pings, we can reasonably assume that it
is not the Squid process dying, but TCP/IP I/O which is going down. This
could be a network card issue, especially if it is auto-sensing and
switching between 10/100 all the time. I have had this issue on boxes
before.

However, this could be an overload problem. On IDE there could be
something crashing as well, if you have a high amount of requests/sec and
the IDE is somehow not keeping up.

What other pertinent information can you dig up from system logs at the
time of failures? I can't think of anything immediately without more
evidence.

For the high load question, here are a couple of nuggets from January's
archives:

<robin.stevens@COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC.UK>

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:54.72% see www.mersenne.org]
IDIOT, n - A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human