Re: [squid-users] Squid binding to random udp ports > 1023

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 04:06:04 +0100

Steve Bremer wrote:

> I recently upgraded squid and noticed that it is binding to a UDP
> port above 1023 typically in the 1024 - 1040 range. In the archives,
> there is mention that the internal dns resolver may be doing this.
> Previously, we used the external dnsserver so we never ran into
> this.

Actually if you make a closer look at the port usage when using
dnsserver you will see something similar, only that the normal resolver
libraries uses "connected" UDP sockets.

> I would like to control the interface that squid is binding to for the
> internal dns resolver (if that is indeed the culprit). The following
> post mentioned using the udp_incoming_address to control this,
> but I could not get it to work.

Works here from what I can tell.. You should also be able to control
this by the udp_outgoing_address..

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Developer