Re: [squid-users] automatic authentication to squid proxy using http|ftp|https link

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 03:55:24 +0100

I am not sure I understand your question, but if you need the users to
log on to the web server (not the proxy), then if they are using
Netscape browsers and Squid is uses as proxy, then you can give them
links like

http://username:password@www.site/path/to/...

The official use of such links in Squid is to add web server
authentication to a request via a redirector helper.

If your problem is that the users need to log on to the proxy then you
can only do this by having the user use another proxy. This other proxy
could be a java servlet or even CGI program fetching the page from your
portal server, possibly via any proxy server. There is plenty of
libraries and standard functions for fetching HTTP content in most
languages, almost all including the needed stubs in how to authenticate
both to web servers and proxies.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Developer