Re: [squid-users] Bypassing Squid.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 12:54:12 +0100

> Scott Dunn wrote:
>
> Hello, I have looked in the FAQ and searched the archives for this
> problem. I am probably not using the right keywords but here is my
> problem.
>
> I have squid set up and working fine. However if you go into the proxy
> settings in Internet explorer and select detect settings automatically
> it will totally bypass squid and let the users go wherever they want.
> Is there anyway to block them from doing this??

For "automatic detection" to work you must configure your network for
WPAD.

WPAD is configured either/both by DHCP and DNS. There is a Microsoft
document somewhere explaining the details.

To prevent your users from bypassing the proxy, install a
firewall/router filter rule, denying the users to go direcly to port 80.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Developer