Re: [squid-users] visible hostname

From: Simon White <simon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:57:37 +0000

26-Mar-02 at 13:59, Philippe Dhont (Sea-ro) (Philippe.Dhont@searo.be) wrote :
> Hi all,
> now I saw that other users set something like cache.org in visible hostname
> but I doesn't work either if I set that for testing.
> Could someone give me a bit more info about visible_hostname and the error I
> get ?

Set visible hostname like this:

visible_hostname random.domain.com

However, if you have multiple caches then you must have individual names
with each cache. There is the unique_hostname directive which can be used
to hide all the caches behind one hostname.

Basically, if you don't set it, then gethostbyname() is
called, and if your networking is not set up properly this could return a
value that causes errors.

Perhaps you can set visible_hostname to a proper hostname which resolves
internally and not to the outside, if you are paranoid.

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:56.33% see www.mersenne.org]
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build