Re: [squid-users] Version sequence

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 15:47:41 +0100

Simon Bryan wrote:

> Hi all,
> I went to install 2.4.stable 6 and got this message from the rpm package
> manger in Webmin:
>
> package squid-2.4.STABLE1-5 (which is newer than squid-2.4.STABLE6-1rh) is
> already installed
>
> is it lying? Can I safely tell it to overwrite the 'newer' package with the
> old? This is running on a P11 233 RH7.2 64MB (my home system - only three
> clients)
>
> The original version came with RH7.2 as the default install.

It is lying.

RPM has two methods of keeping track of version numbers. One based on
the package name, the other method is using a serial number maintained
by the binary package maintainer (person).

In this case the version scheme used by your old and new package is
different, causing RPM to not know that the new version is newer than
the old. Probably the two are packaged by different package managers
(persons).

To get around this RPM has the option --oldpackage, whereby you tell RPM
that you really want to install the named package even if RPM thinks
there is an newer one already installed.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Developer