Re: [squid-users] positive_dns_ttl question (2nd post)

From: <jcarminati@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:58:00 -0300

>DNS has a ttl specification for all zones. If this ttl is less than 2
>hours, I assume Squid will honour that.

>If you need a normal host mapped to one IP that won't change often you can
>use my domain if you like (mtds.com) for testing.

>Bind 9 introduced some new ttl rules, like specifying a minimum negative
>and positive ttl and lots of stuff I still haven't really got my head
>around. The key here is that Squid will respect RFCs and server cache
>directives (a server which tells Squid not to cache its content will be
>respected by Squid) and I see no reason why DNS would be different.

>You can probably override this in squid.conf (breaking RFCs and load
>balancers, etc) but I can't be sure.

>Simon.

Hi Simon,

Ok, thanks, I thought that this kind of parameters (ttl in a RR) had a
greater margin. I've realized now with dig of what you are talking; some A
records have 0 seconds, as for ex. google.com.

I'm running a caching DNS server wth Squid, pdnsd, which has set a
maximun_ttl=694800.

Thanks.
Jorge Carminati.