Re: [squid-users] Do I need to use Delay-pools

From: Ben Aitchison <ben@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:24:01 +1200

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 08:32:18AM +1100, Simon Bryan wrote:
> I have squid on my home network, works fine. However this is a dialup system
> and whenever anyone starts to do a download through the web browser it
> consumes most of the bandwidth (mail clients can't connect and timeout etc).
> Is it the Delay-pools directive I need tom play with to restrict any user to
> a portion of the bandwidth?

I'd argue no, and say that you should instead set your default TCP window
size lower. This varies based on the operating system that you're using.

What I like to do, is use a small mss and TCP window size to a close (other
side of modem) parent proxy, so that I don't get much congestion, and I can
still get to sites that block icmp, and so that I get fast transfers when
there's not much activity, and fair transfers when multiple clients are
downloading.

First thing I'd say to do, is just try setting your window size to 8
kbytes; you should be able to find out how using google.

This is not fair when one user is downloading multiple files, and the
other is downloading fewer. But that's what you get for using TCP :)

Ben.