Re: [squid-users] AUFS number of threads

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 17:50:49 +0200

Simon White wrote:

> I also seem to be having intermittent problems with AUFS on Linux 2.4.7-10
> (stock RH7.2) but I haven't finished testing yet, however any pointers on
> how many threads I should have for 128Mb Physical RAM and 1.6Gb of cache
> would be appreciated.

How many drives do you have?

General rule: Not more than 12 per drive and not less than 6 per drive,
and probably not more than 50 in total.. The default should fine in most
situations.

As for exact rule, only experimentation can tell. It depends on your
traffic pattern, number of drives, speed of drives and CPU. But as long
as you have a reasonable amount you should be fine.

To few, and you hit ratio will suffer (and there will be lots of
complaints in cache.log)

To many, and hit latency will suffer due to overly long disk I/O queues,
possibly even causing Squid to spiral down..