Re: [squid-users] correct cache_mem directive

From: Simon White <simon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 17:17:05 +0000

03-Apr-02 at 22:31, Aditya (aditya@bits-pilani.ac.in) wrote :
> hi!
> I've installed squid2.4 STABLE 2 on redhat 7.1 m/c. The m/c has 192MB of RAM.
> I've set cache_mem = 95MB. The problem i'm facing is, after some time say
> 8-10 hrs squid occupies 70-80% of my memory and the m/c becomes very
> slow.I've to shutdwon squid and then restart it again everytime i face this
> problem. We have around 200 m/c's connected to the internet Is this
> situation normal or i've given wrong value to the cache_mem directive.

First of all, get 2.4STABLE6....

... secondly, that cache_mem is too high. With about 192Mb of RAM, you
want a value around 16Mb, from my experience. The actual processes will
use more RAM if they need it anyway.

How much cache_dir do you have over all your disks? This value may also be
too high and causing some of these problems.

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:61.25% see www.mersenne.org]
In a time of universal lies, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.