RE: [squid-users] Disk space usage

From: Hermann Strassner <hermann.strassner@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 10:10:00 +0200

I was wondering what the best way to set how much disk space I want squid to
use is? How would I get squid to use a maximum 12GB of disk space?

# TAG: cache_dir
# Usage:
#
# cache_dir Type Directory-Name Mbytes Level-1 Level2
#
# You can specify multiple cache_dir lines to spread the
# cache among different disk partitions.
#
# Type specifies the kind of storage system to use. Most
# everyone will want to use "ufs" as the type. If you are using
# Async I/O (--enable async-io) on Linux or Solaris, then you may
# want to try "asyncufs" as the type. Async IO support may be
# buggy, however, so beware.
#
# 'Directory' is a top-level directory where cache swap
# files will be stored. If you want to use an entire disk
# for caching, then this can be the mount-point directory.
# The directory must exist and be writable by the Squid
# process. Squid will NOT create this directory for you.
#
# If no 'cache_dir' lines are specified, the following
# default will be used: c:/squid/cache.
#
# 'Mbytes' is the amount of disk space (MB) to use under this
# directory. The default is 100 MB. Change this to suit your
# configuration.
#
# 'Level-1' is the number of first-level subdirectories which
# will be created under the 'Directory'. The default is 16.
#
# 'Level-2' is the number of second-level subdirectories which
# will be created under each first-level directory. The default
# is 256.
#
cache_dir ufs /directory for cache 12000 32 256

I am using Squid 2.2 STABLE 5 as a standard HTTP proxy for about 150 users
and have about 30GB of disk space free that I can utilise.

Why don't you use the latest Squid?

Hermann