Re: [squid-users] I have problem with start squid?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 06:59:27 -0600

Messages about Squid are best left on the Squid-users list so others
might learn from the discussion.

Morteza Kabiri wrote:

> You are right, I forger specify type of directory, when I change
> squid.conf and put ufs type in it ,that is solved.
> But now, I encountered with new problem in start of squid when I use of
> (squid –N –d 1 –D ) for starting squid:
> Starting squid……
> …….
> …..
> After->: | Load Icon .
> I CommBind: Cannot bind socket FD 7 *:3128: (98) Address already in use.
> FALAT: cannot open HTTP port.
>
> And then terminated.
>
> What do I do?

Looks like Squid is already running. Stop it. And restart it.

> By the way , How can I start squid with root user and group whenever I
> add user_effected and group_effected for root user and root group,but
> when I start squid with root user I encountered with this prompt :
> permision denied.

Don't do that. Squid should have an effective GID and UID of something
other than root (Red Hat packages use squid:squid, and this is a good
choice--some others like to use nobody:nogroup). I think it will refuse
to operate as root (and with good reason).

Just be sure all cache directories have the user:group for their owners.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com