Re: [squid-users] enabling ftp through squid

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 19:13:40 +0200

Aman Raheja wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> I have linux box running squid.
> My Windows box is on same subnet and accesses http via the Linux box running
> squid.
> I want to use ftp and ssh clients from this Windows box.
> I do have acl entries allowing ports 21 and 22 as follows
> acl Safe_ports port 21
> acl Safe_ports port 22
> What else do I need to do in the squid configuration.

 SQUID is a http proxy only.
 You can not proxy ftp through squid in a normal manner.

 The same applies for ssh.

 There is however a perl script in the public domain
 which can be used with certain openssh versions to make
 tunneling solutions for ssh through SQUID.

 I am using this solution for ssh, and it works like a charm.

 This is based on SQUID need's to support ssL for browsers
 and the connect(2) feature , well that's needed for
 other things too of course.

 It is important however to understand that ftp or ssh
 can not be natively proxied or 'supported' by SQUID.

 M.

> Thank you,
> Aman

 'Time is a consequence of Matter thus
 General Relativity is a direct consequence of QM
 (M.E. Mar 2002)