Re: [squid-users] Transparent proxy without using accelerator?

From: favian ee <eefavian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 01:51:40 +0100 (BST)

 Hi, Henrik. I'll try to explain it again.
I am setting up a private network and I want every user who logs on to the network to be forced to a login page when they open their browser on their client machine. They should not be able to surf anywhere until they have logged in. They should not need to configure anything on their browser.
To force all users to the login page, I thought of using a transparent proxy with redirector. I have my ipchains set to direct all http requests from port 80 to port 3128 (Squid), and my Squirm redirector rewrites all URLs to the login page.
Maybe I'm mistaken, but the stuff that I have read seem to tell me that to do transparent proxying using Squid, I need to configure it for proxying as well as enable the accelerator. Is there a way of running a transparent proxy without using the accelerator? If there is, how can I do it?
Thanks for your help. (I hope this is clearer)
Favian
  "Squid Support (Henrik Nordstrom)" <hno@marasystems.com> wrote: On Thursday 04 April 2002 03:29, favian ee wrote:

> I need to use Squid as a transparent proxy with URL redirection but
> the FAQ and squid.conf tell me that to do so, I have to enable
> Squid proxy as well as the accelerator. Unfortunately Squid gets
> confused when they're used concurrently.

????

The confusion only occurs if you run Squid as an accelerator and as a
proxy at the same time, not due to transparent proxying.

transparent proxying is not accceleration, even if the directives in
squid.conf happens to be the same as used in accelleration from code
technical reasons.

> Is there any way I can get around this without using option (b)
> (see previous mail below)?

Please explain your problem again. If you are runnign a transparent
proxy, not being an accelerator for your own servers, then the
problem is different.

available on request