[squid-users] Error "Zero Sized Reply" when searching http://oth.net

From: Adam <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 11:02:41 -0500

Since I installed Squid, I am unable to search http://oth.net .. When I do, I get the following error from Squid:

ERROR
While trying to retrieve the URL: http://oth.net/s/s?
The following error was encountered:
Zero Sized Reply
Squid did not receive any data for this request.
Your cache administrator is webmaster.
Generated Thu, 04 Apr 2002 22:42:39 GMT by Faust (Squid/2.4.STABLE6)

I have found another person (using Squid) that is getting the same error when searching that page, and also several people who also use Squid, but don't have any problems with Oth.net .. I have tried searching (using IE5.5) without going through Squid, and it works fine .. However, I tried searching the page with several text-mode browsers (Lynx, Links, and Elinks), and the page causes frequent problems with those browsers as well, even without going through Squid .. Most of the time I get an error "Error reading from socket" when trying to search through the text browsers .. Also, when I run my Elinks through my Squid and try to search Oth.net, I get the same error page from Squid .. So, Oth.net is definitely doing something weird that is confusing both Elinks and Squid, but why would some Squid users have no problems with it?

I looked around the Squid archives for information about this, and it seems that several people have encountered this problem with Squid (on other pages), but I have yet to find any definitive fix for the problem .. I checked the FAQ earlier, and I don't see any mention of the problem ..

It might also be noted that one of my friends who is able to use Oth.net through Squid is using the exact same binaries as I am (I compiled them and send them to him) .. I looked through his squid.conf, but was unable to find anything that would seem to fix the problem for him ..

Any suggestions/advice? I can post snippets from my log files, if necessary ..

-Adam Stein
Toronto, Ontario