Re: [squid-users] performance deterioration.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 16:41:27 +0200

Simon White wrote:

> 09-Apr-02 at 09:15, Mike Diggins (diggins@mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca) wrote :
> > I'm using diskd, not AUFS, but since then I haven't had any memory
> > problems.
>
> In fact, diskd is recommended for non Linux platforms.

aufs is designed for Linux and Solaris. Actually the implementation was
originally done for Solaris and Linux happened to also support it.

On *BSD platforms such as FreeBSD etc it is known that aufs cannot be used.
If you do your performance will suffer badly.

diskd works in the same way on most platforms, but aufs should be slightly
faster (not by very much however) on the plafroms capable of supporting the
aufs implementation.

> > > The machine is an Ultra 250 running squid2.4s4 under Solaris 8.
> > > 2GB memory, A1000 disk array.
>
> Wouldn't hurt to upgrade to 2.4s6 either.

No, but it isn't likely to help the specific problem either as there hasn't
been any memory related bugfixes since 2.4.STABLE4, only security fixes.