Re: [squid-users] Access.log Problem

From: Daryl Fonseca-Holt <fonsecah@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:17:57 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Rafael Arteaga M. wrote:

> > > Well you see, I think the queries are reaching Squid, becuase acl
> > > restrictions are working fine....
> > > But as I said they are not logged into access.log
> > >
> > > I really need this file to be right so I can make reports on visited
> > > sites...
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Rafa...
> > >

> > By any chance did a cron job roll the log and neglect to tell the running
> > Squid daemon about it with a 'squid -k rotate' ?
> >
> > --
> > Daryl Fonseca-Holt | email: fonsecah@cc.UManitoba.CA
> > Unix Software Administrator | phone: (204) 474-6940
> > University of Manitoba | fax: (204) 474-7515
>
> No, There are no cron jobs related to Squid... Squid does the log
> rotate.... actually, I think the problem is got to do with the log rotate
> proccess.... Somehow access.log don't work after a log rotate is done...
> Could it be a bug??
>
> Regards
> Rafa...

Just a thought. We use an external cronjob to roll the logs as it
compresses them. We set the squid.conf logfile_rotate 0 option so it is
just a signal to the Squid daemon to close and reopen his File Descriptor.

I believe that if a file is renamed that and open File Descriptor points
to, the File Descriptor still has the name of the old file and the inode
of the old file, in other words it is still accessing the old file. Have
you checked to see of the rotated log is still growing?

As for a bug, possibly, you might check the change log for 2.4.STABLE2 as
that is what we use and the logs rotate well.