Re: [squid-users] (Maybe) Bugreport: Ext3-fs error with squid 2.4stable6

From: Simon White <simon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 11:45:56 +0000

11-Apr-02 at 13:42, Henrik Nordstrom (hno@marasystems.com) wrote :
> Any errors reported by the filesystem in your syslog/messages is by
> definition kernel or hardware problems.
>
> The fact that you don't receive these using 2.4.STABLE4 is purely
> coincidental.

Not so much coincidence, as that /perhaps/ there is code in STABLE6 which
causes code within the kernel disk I/O routines to screw up. However it is
clear that Squid will just make read/write demands to the hardware, and it
is the kernel's job to do this in conjunction with filesystem drivers.

ext3fs is still reasonably new and was marked as EXPERIMENTAL on my last
kernel compile some weeks ago.

I think using another filesystem with Squid STABLE6 would prove this one
anyway. I would suspect kernel code / SCSI driver / combinations of
these...

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:66.78% see www.mersenne.org]
Recognizing disagreements in belief requires having enough agreements in