Re: [squid-users] Stable 6 is rolling back to Stable 3

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:11:40 +0200

Ahsan Ali wrote:
> I'm using Joe's RPM too and for some reason up2date says my Squid needs
> updating which is obviously not the case. I've excluded squid manually but
> me not being an RPM guru, is there something that needs to be changed in
> the S/RPM version, Joe?

The Squid RPM's shipped by redhat uses a special RedHat versioning sheme that
conflicts with RPM's generated from any other source. They number their Squid
RPM's manually using a integer serial number rather than using the official
package version.

Why I don't know. Using manual serial number versioning is strongly adviced
against in the RedHat RPM documentaiton as it causes more problems than it
solves. But probably they in some point screwed up the versioning of their
Squid RPM package or RPM was confused due to Squids odd versioning (once in a
time we had a versioning scheme where alphabetic sorting sorted the versions
wrongly). Once you start using serial number versioning there is no easy path
back to standard versioning.