RE: [squid-users] cache dir equation + Misc questions?

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 15:30:54 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Anthony Giggins wrote:

> OK in that Case if I have 60GB of cache_dir it should need 60 * 10 = 600MB
> RAM.
>
> The server its self has 1GIG RAM so I don't see a problem here but do I need
> to change anything in the config, for example
>
> cache_mem do I set this to 600?

No. The memory usage by squid is just a rule of thumb. One school of
thought says:

        10MBytes for each 1GByte of cache
                +
        cache_mem
                +
        some more

With 1GByte of RAM you can probably get away with cache_mem = 64 or 128. I
probably wouldn't go much higher but I am *not* an expert. I am simply
relying on my rapidly failing memory of what I recall someone saying :-).
That is, I recall someone saying something about how big cache_mem
should/could be. I think it was this year. Search the mailing list
archives if you really want to know.

Another school of though is that you'll be relatively safe with:

        RAM = 2 * (10MBytes/GByte of cache + cache_mem)

It's not an exact science.

Colin

--
Colin Campbell