[squid-users] squid sometimes fails to resolve source address

From: Koch, Steve <skoch@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:42:29 -0400

I'm running Squid 2.4 STABLE4 on FreeBSD 4.2. When I review my
access.log, I notice that a couple of dozen times a day (out of about
30,000 lines of log file), Squid will fail to resolve the source address
(host on my lan). My primary name server on my protected lan is running
Microsoft DNS on Windows 2000 and my secondary name server is running
Microsoft DNS on NT 4. The Squid box points to those machines in
resolv.conf. Other than this anomaly in the access.log, I am not aware
of any other name resolution/dns problems on my network. My network is
relatively small, about 100 nodes. Since I noticed this problem, I
tried recompiling squid with '--disable-internal-dns' to force Squid to
use my external name servers to see if that would make a difference.
After running it for a while with --disable-internal-dns, I still
noticed the name resolution problems and I even bumped dns_children up
to 15, but it never made a difference. I have also tried running named
on my FreeBSD box as a caching server and having the FreeBSD use
localhost as its dns to see if that would make a difference, but it
didn't. Any ideas what could cause this? Thanks.

Steve