Re: [squid-users] yahoo problem

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 09:42:52 -0500

Arindam Haldar wrote:
> hi all this is the 2nd time am facing this problem... i posted it
> back in Jan2002 but none responded... now again am at the same
> place. the solution to last time was to use RedHat squid rpm which
> ran ok... the problem is--- with a complied & running
> squid(squid-2.4Stable6) for a day or two it stops some sites
> automatically.. for eg & in perticular-->www.yahoomail.com,
mail.yahoo.com.
> when i allow my office & clients to pass the transparent squid box
> they have time out.. The intresting thing is there is no squid error
> page but the default Win ie error page of REFRESH !... sooner i
> change the transparent proxy(iptables syntax thats is not using
> squid anymore) everything is ok... i tried to use acl with
> yahoomail, mail.yahoo.com for

For what it's worth, I've had no problems with Yahoo mail on any of our
boxes, except in one WCCP redirected environment, where the MTU had to
be lowered to deal with the GRE overhead on full-size packets (this only
impacted sending mail in my case...all normal browsing worked fine).
This would only happen in an environment where client traffic travels
through a network tunnel to reach the cache.

>>> always_direct<<<..but it didnt work too !...
>>
> after writing this mail i will try to clear cache 2Gb(11Gb for
> squid) & try again which i dont think will help !.. but anywaz..... so
> dear friends--can anyone throw some light on this ?? the squid was
complied
> with ---> CFLAGS=" -DNUMTHREADS=30 " ./configure
> --prefix=/usr/local/squid-2.4-6 --enable-FEATURE=yes
> =yes --enable-dlmalloc=/usr/lib/libdmalloc.so
> --enable-gnuregex --disable-carp --enable-async-io
> --enable-removal-policies="heap,lru" --enable-icmp --enable-delay-pools
> --disable-wccp --enable-kill-parent-hack --enable-snmp
> --disable-useragent-log --enable-htcp --enable-poll
> --disable-http-violations --enable-linux-netfilter
> --enable-internal-dns --disable-underscores --disable-auth-modules
> --enable-unlinkd --enable-stacktraces

Try something a little more reasonable on the configure! Red Het
certainly does not require dlmalloc, gnuregex, or kill-parent-hack. You
also probably don't need htcp. Also, --enable-FEATURE and
--with-PACKAGE are not actually configure options, those are merely
examples to show you how to use those types of options! ;-)

Those things probably aren't causing your problem, but the messiness of
the configure made me say something about it.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com