Re: [squid-users] yahoo problem

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 11:23:53 -0500

Squid Support (Henrik Nordstrom) wrote:
> On Saturday 20 April 2002 16:42, Joe Cooper wrote:
>
>> For what it's worth, I've had no problems with Yahoo mail on any
>> of our boxes, except in one WCCP redirected environment, where the
>> MTU had to be lowered to deal with the GRE overhead on full-size packets
>> (this only impacted sending mail in my case...all normal browsing
>> worked fine). This would only happen in an environment where
>> client traffic travels through a network tunnel to reach the cache.
>>

> Would impact any POST or PUT of larger pieces of data (more that 1
> KB or two) I guess.

Quite right. But Yahoo mail, Hotmail, etc. are what the client
complains about first, generally. ;-)

> And it should only be a problem if there is something fragmenting
> the packets before they hit the WCCP router. If you get troubles due
> to the GRE encapsulation then there is bugs somewhere (most likely
> in IOS in this case).

Cisco has an article in their archives on the subject, and I've seen
posts from Lincoln Dale stating that IOS is not flawed in this regard.
I know enough to fix it, but not enough to judge what part of the chain
is to blame for the trouble. But it is a well-know issue, and occurs
with a number of web caches in certain environments when using WCCP.

The link at Cisco:

I think I recall there being an article specifically about this problem
with WCCP, but I couldn't find it in a search...Maybe I'm misremembering.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com