RE: [squid-users] Newbie question

From: Neville Kuyt <neville.kuyt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:27:59 +0100

I'd say your best bet is to remove the absolute URLs - I speak from bitter
experience when I say they are basically a huge barrel of pain waiting to be
poured over you, esp. if your site needs to adapt to different host names
etc.

If this is not possible, you might look at writing an ISAPI plug-in for IIS
(don't know if Zope allows you to do the same) to strip the port numbers out
of the response before sending it back to the client. This should be
relatively straightforward, though you have to test very carefully and make
sure your code is able to cope with a variety of different URL styles.

Doing this at the proxy level is very high-risk - it distributes knowledge
of your application's implementation details onto a totally different
platform, and this will give you some horrendous problems in the future if
you try to change stuff....

I know this isn't much help, but I think you're setting yourself up for
major headaches and you're going to have to byte the bullet sooner or later.

Nev