Re: [squid-users] can squid bypass few ips!

From: <christian.schoeniger@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 12:12:26 +0200

i'm not sure, if this works - try using a cgi, like:

#!/bin/bash

echo -e "Content-Type: application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig\r"
echo -e "Cache-Control: no-cache\r"
echo -e "Pragma: no-cache\r"
echo -e "Expires: `date`\r"
echo -e "Date: `date`\r\n\r"

echo 'function FindProxyForURL(url, host) {
    if (isPlainHostName(host)) {
        return "DIRECT";
    } else {
        return "PROXY 194.49.70.45:3128";
    }
}'

so you can say, that this file must not be cached.

useful links:
http://207.46.239.122:80/workshop/author/perf/perftips.asp#Leverage_the_HTTP_Expires_Header
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q234067

Graeme.Wood@ed.ac.uk schrieb:

> On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 christian.schoeniger@fes-aes.de wrote:
>
> > with IE 5.0 with set to "automatic", the config file is read when the
> > browser starts.
> > why do you think, it's not requested? IE only sends an IMS request when
> > the file is already cached.
>
> Because there have been occasions when I have changed the pac file on the
> server, and the 20,000 odd students that we have here have found that the
> pac file they had on their PCs had not been updated. They all then
> complained that things didn't work, which should have done had the pac
> file loaded. We have tested that restarting the browser did not fix the
> problem; neither did rebooting the PC. The only way to absolutely ensure
> it was loaded was to delete all the offline content. I don't think the
> automatic setting is working terribly well, and the help information
> associated with that option suggests that it actually doesn't check every
> time the browser restarts. It suggests that after a while, if it finds the
> file not changing from day to day, it stops checking. I don't know if
> that is what it is doing, but from the help it sounds like it, and from
> experience, I would guess that it is.
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Graeme Wood Email: Graeme.Wood@ed.ac.uk
> Unix Systems Support Phone: +44 131 650 5003
> The University of Edinburgh Fax: +44 131 650 6552

Christian Schöniger,  SYSADM,  FES GmbH - Fahrzeug-Entwicklung Sachsen
phone: +49 375 56 60 254  fax: +49 375 56 60 319 http://www.fes-aes.de
There is so much sand in Northern Africa that if it were spread out it
would completely cover the Sahara Desert.