Re: [squid-users] Trans Proxy disables Auth

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 12:04:40 +0200

Mark Seamans wrote:

> Well, after building a new firewall script, I went after Squid Auth. Works
> great. Next it was enabling Transparent Proxy. No problem! But........
>
> Now Auth doesn't work. Point the client to the proxy using the browser
> settings, it works like a champ. Let it be redirected, no way man.

To use proxy authentication your browser must be using a proxy.

When you do "Transparent Proxying" (better described as interception
proxying) you intercept the requests without the browser knowing, and
browsers won't accept websites requesting proxy authentication.

The browser have no means to tell which proxy it is that requests
authentication. For all what the browser knows it is talking directly to
the web server.