Re: [squid-users] How many users ...

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 14:59:33 +0200

Mohammed Berzig wrote:

> Hello,
> My qustion is how many users can squid handle ? because I have a bi-
> processor with 512 Mo and FreeBSD 4.5, when the numbre of dialup users is
> great then 160 the commande 'ps axumh' display 70% for squid CPU usage.
> is it normal ? if I compare it with cacheflow product CA-615 the process is
> 6% .
> Sincerly.

 The question is slightly wrongly formulated.
 It depends on the induced load by your end users;
 mainly http reqs/sec.

 It also depends on the size of your cache , for instance,
 which takes a toll on mem. usage.

 My colleaques from Kuleuven Network Team, in the end
 had to switch from SQUID to hw based cache engines, because
 they had to serve a community of 16,000 users.

 Now , I can't tell whether any modern advanced squid box,
 with lot's of mem, or cpu could handle such a community.

 M.

--
 'Time is a consequence of Matter thus
 General Relativity is a direct consequence of QM