Re: [squid-users] Re: everload CPU

From: Eduardo Cota <cota@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 00:45:47 -0300 (UYT)

Of course, Henrik is right, I should be more carefull in my answers.

What would squid-gurus think of adding an entry on the FAQ on this topic?
It has appeared a few times recently. It could be on "14. System dependent
weirdnesses" in the Linux section. (or maybe on section 17?)
Something like:

Squid using 100% CPU/squid slow when using interception proxying (aka
transparent proxying)

If you are using Linux kernel 2.4.x (for example redhat 7.2), avoid using
the ipchains emulation for packet redirection, use iptables instead.

On kernel 2.4.x ipchains is an emulation of 2.2 ipchains on top of
netfilter, and has been found to have performance problems when used for
redirecting packets. These problems do not manifest when using iptables.

Of course this is just an idea, somebody more knowledgeable than me should
correct/improve this if you decide it is a good idea to add this to the
FAQ.

Not that this is going to stop people from asking, but at least you can
say "read the FAQ" :-)

Yours,
                Eduardo.