RE: [squid-users] Strange htaccess problem

From: Chris Wade <cwade@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:15:10 -0600

We found a partial solution but it's turned this into a different sort of
problem, now more curious than critical...

So we had users 1 and 2, directories A and B. 1 has access to A only, 2 has
access to A and B. The error page for the virtualhost for A was stored in
B.

When user 1 tried to access A, something in some of the documents (a .css
file) wasn't there so it wasn't loading. User 2 was asked for her password
twice, and it happened to be the same for both areas, so she didn't get
asked any more than that. User 1 was asked four times, after which it
displayed the page he was looking for. No error ar 'authentication needed'
screen was displayed in either case. So we couldn't tell these things were
being generated by hits to the error page until we checked the logs.

The strange thing is, this works differently under apache alone vs. squid
and apache together. Apache would silently ignore the fact that it couldn't
find the error screen for the .css file, or perhaps wouldn't look for one in
the first place, but when the request comes through squid, it seems to act
differently. Anyone know why this would be so?

Thanks,

Chris