Re: [squid-users] problem with IRC

From: Simon White <simon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 11:15:27 +0000

13-May-02 at 13:13, Bartosz Kata (bartoszk@tenbit.pl) wrote :
> I have a question, i`m using SQUID on RH 7.2
> When i try to connect to IRC server i get a message
> Connecting to port 6667 of server wroclaw.irc.pl [refnum 0]
> Closing Link: kat_[unknown@217.96.175.172] (Denied access)
> Connection closed from wroclaw.irc.pl: Success
> and i got disconnected. When i turn off the proxy i can connect to irc server withous any problems. I`ve heard its a problem with bad SQUID configuration. Can you help me ?

Squid cannot proxy IRC connections, it can merely pass them on. Squid is
an HTTP proxy.

Better to let your clients bypass the proxy to use IRC.

It could also be that the IRC server itself is blocking access for that
particular IP, or because Squid is sending HTTP like headers which may be
automatically rejected by the IRC server.

Regards,

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:14.30% see www.mersenne.org]
UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius