Re: [squid-users] squid-2.5.PRE7 - NTLM AUTH

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 18:08:03 +0200

Tomas Palfi wrote:
> henrik and all
>
> i am not using the basic at all and in fact everything is hashed out, so
> there isn't worry about the msntauth.conf file now, however, the problem is
> that when i execute ntlm_auth from command line i get this:
>
> # ./ntlm_auth phoenix_uk\dell_serv_1
> Couldn't grok domain-controller phoenix_ukdell_serv_1
> You must specify at least one domain-controller!

When starting it from the command line using \ as separator you will need to
use double \\, or enclose the PDC name in quotes (') to protect from the UNIX
shell. It is the UNIX shell who removes the \ before invoking ntlm_auth as
part of parsing the command line.

This is not needed in squid.conf. (and probably won't work if you do)

> when i specify the domain with forward slash "/" then i get another
> message. both of this options are permitted for usage - which one would be
> for nt4 sp5.

Correct. Both forms should work.

> # ./ntlm_auth phoenix_uk/dell_serv_1
>
> BH Helper detected protocol error

Well.. I assume you got this in response to you pressing enter after starting
the helper? This message says that the helper did not understand the message
received from Squid (or your keyboard when started manually).

> does the pdc have to be the fully qualified domain name such as

Not that I know of. From my understanding it needs to be the official NT name
of the server, and your Squid machine needs how to find this NT server by
name.