Re: [squid-users] Initialization issues

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 18:17:42 +0200

Kent, Mr. John wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am a big fan and have been running Squid very successfully
> for a couple of years now.
>
> So don't consider me heretical when I ask the following question.
>
> Lately we've had a problem with the process table on our Solaris 2.7
> machine filling up or getting scrambled.
>
> It probably isn't related to Squid, but we are grasping at straws here.

If it really is the process table that is filled up and not the
filedescriptor table or socket table then I don't think Squid can be blaimed
here. Squid only starts 2 squid processes, and if you have any helpers
configured (dnsserver, redirectors etc) only a limited amount of each type of
helper.

About the only cases I have seen process tables fill up is if there is a
malfunctioning software who forks indefinitely (also called fork bomb). And
about the only case I have seen such fork boms is when students learn about
the precense of fork() and tests what happens if one uses it in a loop...