[squid-users] hints needed to make decent squid performance..

From: Aditya Budi <aditya_budi@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 11:07:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all ....

i'm new in squid and doesn't know much how
to optimize squid performance..

currently my network consist of 20 node (LAN)
and each have 20 client...
about 400 client would access my proxy server.

i'm planning to build squid as transparent
proxy using :
Hardware config..
AMD XP 2000+
1.5 - 2 GB DDR PC2100
5*40 GB Maxtor 740DXL UDMA6 for cache disk
1*20 GB Maxtor/WD 7200 UDMA5 HDD for system disk
2 Intel Express 10/100 NIC
Abit AT7 (via kt333) MB with hpt-374 ata-133
controller or Epox 8K3A2 with hpt 374

software :
Redhat linux 7.2
kernel 2.4.18 plus ide patch. (www.linux-ide.org)
reiserfs filesystem for cache and system disk.
formated with r5 hash..
mounted with noatime and notail mount options.
squid 2.4.Stable6

and various squid options for optimizing speed...

please give me hint about this kind of config,
is it would adequate for my network needs ?.
and how to tuning my squid and my system for give
maximal performace from my hardware...

and i hear in dev mailing liss about
some discussion to split caching object,
small files are going to ramdisk and
the big ones that would be going into hdd..
it would be very good news for speed i think...

and hints or enlighment where i can
read more about this kind of project ?...

thanks very much in advance...

regards
Budi Aditya