[squid-users] Memory Hogging and Lockups

From: Lee Standen <nom@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 08:20:13 +0800

I'm having a very unusual problem while running squid and the squidGuard
redirector.

After the proxy runs for about 12 hours with noone accessing it, the RAM on
the system is taken up to only about 2-3MB free. When the server is under
load, it gets to the point where there is no free ram and then locks up
completely. When it reaches this point, the system will not take keyboard
input or network input, and you have to manually reset using the reset
switch.

This problem has persisted accross several versions, and i have tried
absolutely everything i can think of. The versions i have tried are:
STABLE1 (was on originally)
STABLE3 (upgraded redhat package)
STABLE6 (compiled)
PRE7 (compiled)

I'm using the latest version of squidGuard (www.squidguard.org).

My system specs are:

Motherboard: Asus K7M
Processor: Athlon 500
RAM: 256MB Generic SDRAM
OS: RedHat 7.2
Kernel: 2.4.18

My squid setup is:

2 squidGuard redirectors
heap LFUDA (i've tried using other types)
without memory pools (same with them on)
1GB Cache (same on 100MB cache)
Note: I have tried without squidGuard and the same thing occurs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Let me know if you need more information