Re: [squid-users] Configuring squid to access another proxy server using password

From: Roberto Inzerillo <robicd@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 15:12:17 +0200 (MEST)

As I understand you will use the Redhat box as a gateway between a LAN and
the external net. In the external net you can make use of a proxy provided by
your ISP. You also have a login/password needed to make use of it.
Basically, if you have a open internet connection to the outside you don't
need to make use of the ISP proxy, but you are free to do it in order to
achieve better performance.
In this case you have to tell to squid installed on the Linux box to make
use of it as a 'Parent'.
Some proxys offer ICP query capabilities, some others not. Basically they
are queried via http at some port (as default MS proxy uses 8080, Squid uses
3128 etc...).

Browse the docs and you will find:

cache_peer hostname parent http_port icp_port login=user:password

Where:
 hostname: name of the parent proxy (the one offered by your ISP)
 http_port: the http port number your ISP proxy uses to receive proxy
request
 icp_port: the icp port number your ISP proxy uses to receive proxy request
(if your ISP proxy doesn't support icp query then set this to '7')

If (as you say) your ISP proxy requires a login then put this infos in
'login=user:password'

Ex:
cache_peer http://proxy.myprovider.com parent 3128 3130
login=mylogin:mypassword

But if you just want to share a single internet connection among a LAN and
are not interested in http-proxy features it is a good choice investing some
time in configuring a Masquerading Linux box. This way provides access to
other Internet protocls too and not just to http/https/ftp (as provided by a
http-proxy like Squid). Linux uses Iptables/Ipchains for IP-Masquerading. There
is very good documentation on the net.
Of course there is some security related issues you have to deal with.

         Roberto Inzerillo

http://www.gmx.net